Wednesday, August 13, 2008

AiM Dash

The gauges in the car were all shot, and I've been looking at the AiM setup versus buying a whole new suite of analog gauges. This was going to be the one "luxury" item on the rebuilt car, and I'm tickled pink to have one in my hands.

The car has been progressing, but we've hit some snags. Broken tools and some real difficulty finding a local supplier for 6061 T4 aluminum. Everyone locally stocks T6 and the closest I came to a local source was a shop that would order it, but only in a minimum quantity of 25 4'x12' sheets. I finally broke down and ordered from AircraftSpruce which was a bit painful due to shipping - $200 worth of sheet metal, $90 in shipping.

The front end of the car is pretty bare, with the last of the remaining mangled metal removed, the bulkheads removed for repair / replacement, and the lower leg rest out. There's a chance we'll have metal cut and laid out for Teknifab (our local small metal shop) to bend by this weekend, which means the front of the tub could be completely repaired by Sunday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments: