Sunday, July 6, 2008

Bringing Home Baby - Race Car Edition

OK, I cheated a bit on the first entry. Picking up the car from Kenny happened at the end of March, but I didn't get me the idea to keep a blog of this whole rebuild until after I got back from South Africa. I really liked the idea of starting from the beginning, so that's my excuse for a late March event being posted in early July.

Since I've been back we've been working on making my two-car garage into more of a workshop. An electrical circuit shared with the master bedroom and bath became a became a dedicated garage circuit. One lonely light bulb became a total of 56' of T8 fluorescent lighting. Attic insulation and flooring went in above the garage, and all of the stuff that's been sitting in the garage for the past three years went up. Drywall was repaired, holes in the stucco from old shelving units were patched, and everything got a fresh coat of paint. The small laundry area got an epoxy coating put over the concrete floor and a small cabinet. Finally, Racedeck XL went down over the main floor, which had close 30 years of stains and damage.

It was a ton of work - probably on the order of 60 hours done over the course of two weeks. The end result was well worth it - a well-lit and clean workspace for rebuilding the car, which should be brought in next week (after yet another, albeit much shorter, trip to South Africa).

No comments: